Rock Bottom Details
Format: lower-body strength and cardio intervals
Time: 55 minutes
Equipment needed: step, weighted bar, tubing
Music: 125–130 beats per minute
This workout features three blocks of exercises. Each block includes
- three lower-body strength exercises;
- 3 minutes of slightly choreographed, moderate-intensity cardio; and
- a 1-minute anaerobic cardio challenge.
- Select exercises that require core stabilization, for a more functional approach.
- Include work in all planes of motion.
- Eccentrically load select moves to increase intensity.
- Build in variety and challenge over time by adjusting exercise order, load and reps.
- Provide progressions and regressions.
- Suggest that students cross-train to allow adequate rest between sessions.
- Provide low-impact options for the cardio segment.
- Use the rating of perceived exertion scale (1–10) to guide intensity levels for the cardio sections.
Recommend that students work at a level 5 or 6 for the 3-minute cardio intervals and a level 7 or 8 for the anaerobic challenge.
Warmup (5 minutes)
Do 8 reps of each exercise, and then repeat the full sequence twice.
- inchworm (hinging from hips and bringing hands to floor, then walking hands forward to plank, and returning to start)
- pushup alternating with side plank (modification: knees down).
- alternating front lunge
- burpee (no hop)
Work Phase (45 minutes)
Strength With Weighted Bar
Do 12 reps of each exercise:
- Romanian deadlift: Hold bar in front of thighs (pronated grip) and hinge from hips until bar reaches knee level; return to start.
- Hack deadlift: Hold bar behind legs (pronated grip) and perform deadlift until bar reaches back of knees.
- Overhead front lunge: Hold bar overhead with wide grip, and step forward into lunge (alternate).
- Double step-touch, right and left; 8x.
- After each double step-touch, add squat at each end (step toward center); 8x.
- Change squat to plyometric jump squat; 8x.
- Plyometric jump squat, 16x.
- Maintain extended spine on deadlifts.
- Brace core to stabilize spine on overhead front lunge.
Strength With Step
Do 12 reps of each exercise, R-leg lead:
- Rear lunge to Superman: Do rear lunge from top of step, then lift into Superman position, extending rear leg while hinging forward from hips.
- Side squat: From top of step, squat off side and return to top.
- Single-leg plank with knee tuck: With hands on step, hold one-legged plank, then hop foot in toward bench and return to start.
Cardio Intervals (R-Leg Lead)
- Walk forward 3, knee-up 1, walk back 3, knee-up 1; 8x.
- Walk forward 3, alternating knee-up 3, walk back 3, alternating knee-up 3; 8x.
- Walk forward 3, knee-up 1, high-knee jog 4x, walk back 3, knee-up 1, high-knee jog 4x; 8x.
- High-knee jog, 16x.
Repeat all with L-leg lead.
- Maintain neutral spine on Superman.
- Avoid excessive hip hinge on squat.